Tuesday 15 November 2016

Still Running

I was thinking it was time for a long overdue update but was shocked to find that I hadn't even posted after this year's Great Manchester Run 10km back in May.
I even seem to remember writing a post but clearly that was a post run hallucination :)

Great Manchester Run 2016
My previous post told the story up to immediately before the run. The day was great and a little cooler than previous years. I was lucky to get around dry as the next wave endured a period of torrential rain during which I was celebrating in a pub with my support team (Lynne my wife).
Having done it twice before, I was able to relax and soak up the atmosphere and the people which made it even more enjoyable.
I'll limit my report to quoting from an email I sent to my osteopath mate. ('88 reference is to the start of a long period of severe back problems which he helped me through.)
"That bloke that could hardly walk sometimes back ’88 and is now in his 60’s only turned in 54:34 in the 10k on Sunday!
I knew I had trained to plan this year and thought I might get a sub-1 hour again but never in a million years expected that. I felt good from the moment I set off on the day and just kept going at a pace that felt right."

Carry On Running
I am a person who needs a goal if I'm to stick with anything and in previous years I have stopped running after the 10k event then started a few erratic sessions in autumn usually then failing again until panic sets in March - April that I'm running in May.
This year, I was determined to carry on. I enjoy my street runs now which helps push me out of the door.

Looking back at my calendar over summer I think I know why I didn't get around to posting after the event as I headed off for 2 weeks sailing in Greece the following weekend. My wife works at a school so whilst we are stuck with school holidays we do try to use them and for 3 weeks of August we were driving form Denver to Seattle in the USA visiting Yellowstone and other National Parks. I only recount these trips to show at least 5 weeks in which I did no running at all, and there were weekends away with the tent, days out and visits to relatives all to provide excuses.
However, I am pleased to say that in the weeks at home I have continued to get out 2-3 times per week and I have thrown in a few parkruns along the way.

Next 10k Approaches

A few weeks back I signed up for a new event in December, the Wilmslow 10k which is quite local to me.
It will be a very different experience from the Great Manchester Run with 1500 entrants compared to nearly 40,000 people running. It is  a country lane route so I don't expect crowds of spectators and bands along the way providing encouragement.
To be honest, I am apprehensive. You can disappear into the volume of people in the big event and I'm afraid of seeing a field of club runners and fit youngsters disappear into the distance as I push myself around yet another blind corner somewhere in the Cheshire countryside.  I'm sure it'll be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment